Consider asking your School Board candidates up for election this Spring if they support SB 521 and HB 1057. SB521 and HB 1057 prohibit abortion providers and affiliates from providing Human Sexuality curriculum and instruction in Texas schools. WHY would they be opposed to it?
We are not against sex education. We believe that there are no reasons that abortion providers or their affiliates should be in Texas schools. In fact, if these organizations providing the curricula were not associated with abortion providers, then WHY do they oppose the bill?
At the minimum, ask your School Board Trustees to adopt local policy that would prohibit abortion providers and affiliates from providing instruction or materials to District schools.
(e-1) An entity or individual that performs abortions or an affiliate of an entity or individual that performs abortions may not provide human sexuality or family planning instruction or instructional materials for use in human sexuality or family planning instruction in a public school.
(e-2) For purposes of Subsection (e-1), “affiliate” means an entity or individual that has a legal relationship with another entity or individual that is created or governed by at least one written instrument that demonstrates:
(1) common ownership, management, or control;
(2) the existence of a franchise; or
(3) the granting or extension of a license or other agreement that authorizes the affiliate to use the entity’s or individual’s brand name, trademark, service mark, or other registered identification mark.
(e-3) Subsection (e-1) does not apply to a hospital:
(1) licensed under Chapter 241, Health and Safety Code; or
(2) owned and operated by the state.
SECTION 2. This Act applies beginning with the 2013-2014 school year.